Chateau des Bachelards Comtesse de Vazeilles Saint-Amour 2016
Other Reds | France
CHÂTEAU DES BACHELARDS, friends! If you love powerful Burgundian pinot noir – you have not lived until you’ve tasted this wine. Seriously, this is among the most surprising and shocking vinous ambrosia we’ve ever tasted – our perception of wine has never been the same! 94 POINTS and 50% OFF help make this something you truly shouldn’t miss!
Arguably the GREATEST. CRU. BEAUJOLAIS on the planet! Pinot-ish in weight, but SO much more. Delightfully floral, fruit-packed, spicy, and utterly wonderful to drink – wow! This wine has been a coveted sommelier staple for years. We discovered it in Paris some time back, and we made a deal to bring this beauty back to the States for the first time a few years back. We’re talking 60–110+-year-old vines that consistently make the top-rated gamay of the region, every single year. There’s so much history with this estate we’re resorting to bullet points:
- Established in 1100 AD by Cluny Monks ("Les Bachelards" means “The Place of God” in the Gallo-Romance language of Oil).
- Some of the vineyards existing today are still the first vines planted in the area after phylloxera, planted in 1910.
- Countess Alexandra de Vazeilles took over the property and made her first vintage in 2014.
- Vineyards are certified organic and were certified biodynamic in 2015.
- No spritzy, bubble-gum, carbonic maceration here. These wines are fashioned in the same style as classic Burgundian pinot.
- Situated on lower slopes of a hillside, akin to the Grand Crus of Burgundy, with pink granite, alluvial rock, and clay soils intermingle.
Incredibly awesome at our price – just check out the stellar Vinous review below. This is a Beaujolais to rock you to your core and rid you of any notions of the gamay grape lacking complexity or intensity. Six years young and primed to excel for another 20 years, easy!