92 Insider Points
Earthy cherry and bacon fat on the nose. On the palate, it's full-bodied showing pomegranate, black cherry, raspberry and savory tobacco, all carrying through a medium finish. Drinking excellently now. 92 Points - JZ Sept '18
This is a superb example of the Sonoma Coast’s growing cohort of cool-climate Syrahs, actively sought out for their elegant Rhône style. This vintage mixes the lush, deep flavors of Sonoma fruit with an acidic backbone, touches of pepper and subtly beguiling aromatics.
· The 2009 Sonoma Coast Syrahs have been noted for their freshness and sophistication, lauded by The San Francisco Chronicle as “a case study in the aromatic power of Syrah… and a great push toward the nuanced end of the pendulum of California style.”
· Long overshadowed by the region’s Chardonnays and Pinots, Sonoma Coast Syrahs remain a bit of a hidden treasure, but have been growing in acclaim and popularity since a flurry of experimental cool-climate planting in the 1980s began bearing fruit in the late 2000s.
· This vintage helped put a new school of Sonoma Coast Syrahs on the map and has been a favorite of tasting room visitors and critics alike, garnering awards at the 2015 California State Fair Wine Competition and the 2016 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition.
· Like a number of the Sonoma Coast’s top new Syrahs, this wine is sourced from the Flocchini Vineyard, located in the Petaluma Gap microclimate, noted for its mild, cool temperatures that allow grapes to ripen and mature early while maintaining balance and optimal acidity.
· A rich and intense offering crafted by Point Reyes Vineyards, Marin’s first post-Prohibition winery and tasting room, which remains family owned and operated to this day.
From the winery:
This cool and almost coastal vineyard gives the fruit bright and focused flavors, leaving a plush elegant and mellow feel on your palate.
*invino maintains excellent cellaring conditions, and strives to sell every bottle in pristine condition. As is standard industry practice, any wine purchased over seven vintage years old, is sold "as is" and may not be returned for any reason.
From the winery:
For three generations, our family has proudly farmed the rich, fertile lands of Marin County. In 1990, our love of fine wines led to the planting of a small vineyard. We know the quality of Marin County's soil and the diversity of its microclimates, would provide the perfect conditions to grow grapes for ultra premium wines. The vineyards' success resulted in wines that are rich, well-rounded, complex and full of flavors brought forth from the soils.
This Syrah will pair best with any beef dish, pork chops, or pulled pork.