93 Insider Points
$0 Shipping Selection (6+/btls)
The 2014 Fietri Chianti Classico is a snapshot of the Tuscan tradition and the expression of Fietri’s sincere love for the land, and with its proud fruit and strong, engaging character, we cannot help but love it’s power, robustness, and magnanimity.
- Of Fietri’s many vineyards, their 2014 Classico comes only a single one, the Vigna Poggio Ciliegio, which boasts a sandy and loamy soil that really drives home it’s powerful tannic texture (typical of Sangiovese) but also, lends it a notable variety of aromatic and gustatory hues that alternate and then open in an enthralling succession, and is showing beautifully now, having been released after 18 months in the barrel and another 15 in the bottle.
- Located in the higher land northeast of Siena, Fietri is an entirely organic and biodynamic operation with a recently renovated state-of-the-art cellar in the heart of one of the greatest winemaking regions on the planet.
- 2014 was a challenging but very rewarding harvest, leading to outstanding and elegant exempla of Chianti: canopy management, leaf pulling, green harvest, and selection were all crucial factors that let Fietri come out on top during this year.
- 18 months in the barrel and another 15 in the bottle
- As always, Fietri offers us exclusive, original, and unrepeatable products steeped in the Tuscan wine tradition with its long and glorious history made of ingenuity and passions discovered in a territory with great potential. Sure to bring you as much delight as it did us, drink immediately, or hold for 3-4 more years.
From the winery:
One recognizes wild berries and purple cherries in the subtle tannins that make it such a vital wine which is so relaxed and fresh as it opens in the mouth following its pleasant first sip. Then the vaguely wild spiced hints of pepper, juniper and Mediterranean shrub follow. Here, the balsamic notes and the iron touches outline a dense, sapid, and austere weave enveloped in the powerful acidity of this Chianti. Lastly, one finds elements of sweet and elegant hawthorn: an airy touch of kindness that adds grace to the whole and blends it leading to a full and juicy finish.
From the winery:
The company began producing wine with the 2006 harvest using grapes from new vineyards planted in 2003. In 2007 the older pre-existing vineyards were then renewed bring the total vineyards to 8 hectares. The wines produced reflect the tradition of the area, Chianti Classico DOCG, Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG, and a few other IGT wines which evidence the special characteristics of our unique terroir.
Our wine production has been certified organic since the 2016 harvest
Uncork this alongside a spicy rack of lamb or a lasagna with a rich tomato sauce.