94 Insider Points
93 Points - Antonio Galloni
91 points - Robert Parker’s The Wine Advocate
4 Grapes, 4 Brothers. This blend is high on our list. Deep crimson hues give way to a nose full of ripe blueberries & black cherries. Full-bodied, silky & smooth, this is a beautiful, vuloptuous wine showing dark chocolate, dried cranberries, oak and a dry, earthy tone. The fruit qualities come out even more as the wine opens up. It's all rounded out with a long, tannic finish. I'm putting this one in my personal collection. 94 Points - JZ September '17
“The 2013 Red Blend O.P.C. 15th Anniversary Vintage is gorgeous, and a great example of the year. Black cherry, plum, smoke, licorice and crushed rocks are all pushed forward. Vibrant, chiseled and opulent – all at the same time – the 2013 is bursting at the seams with personality. Drink this juicy, full-throttle red over the next decade.” - Antonio Galloni
"...a beautiful wine and an example of an affordable wine from a great vintage. The wine has a dense ruby/purple, notes of blueberry and blackberry fruit, medium to full-bodied opulence, luscious, savory mid-palate and a style that begs for drinking now or over the next ten years.” - Robert Parker
Napa Valley, California
$0 SHIPPING Selection (3+/btls)
“One of my favorite under-the-radar wineries is Buoncristiani." - Robert Parker, 2016
“Juicy, full-throttle red!” – Antonio Galloni, 93 points
Why we’re drinking it:
- OPC (Ol’ Pa’s Cuvee, in case you’re wondering) is a seductive and rare blend Cab, Syrah, Malbec, and Merlot. The marriage of these grapes which excel in the Napa Valley’s famed soils is Buoncristiani’s quest for a unique wine, a symphonic harmony that they alone could claim.
- This 15th Anniversary Vintage struts around with a small parade of 91+ point scores like it’s no big deal. But, believe us, the deal is massive. This opulently layered, fruit forward masterpiece is an affordable luxury that we just can’t get enough of.
Why we love it:
- Hyde, Stagecoach, Hossfeld, Bennett, Ink Grade, and Yountville….the vineyard credits for this wine are prestigious. So much so that our sourcing team was a little star-struck.
- The moniker OPC is short for Ol’ Pa’s Cuvee. It’s named for their maternal Grandfather, Ol Pa, and the 2013 Vintage marks the 15th Anniversary of the blend.
- The Buoncristiani brothers run one helluva winery. Born and raised in Napa, they’ve grown into the Italian winemaking legacy which preceded them. This blend of 38% Cab Sauv, 30% Syrah, 17% Malbec, 15% Merlot is a fragrant and concentrated blend.
- Buoncristiani’s famed winemaking skills are legendary. This bottle carries 93 and 91 points from Antonio Galloni and Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate respectively. And that 38% Cab has its own credentials. The 2014, 2005, and 2004 Cab each received 96 points. In fact, the Buoncristiani Cab has basked in 91+ point scores since 2001.
Deep crimson hues give way to a nose full of ripe blueberries & black cherries. Full-bodied, silky & smooth, this is a beautiful, vuloptuous wine showing dark chocolate, dried cranberries, oak and a dry, earthy tone. The fruit qualities come out even more as the wine opens up. It's all rounded out with a long, tannic finish.
Buoncristiani Family Winery is a collaboration of four brothers (Matt, Jay, Aaron, and Nate Buoncristiani) born into a wine-loving Italian family in the Napa Valley. Every harvest the brothers worked alongside their dad in the small vineyards he tended, learning how to tend the vineyard and craft wine for family and friends to share.
These early hands-on experiences reinforced in each of the brothers a desire to pursue educational and professional opportunities that would enable them to one day make world-class wines. In 1999 the brothers commercially founded Buoncristiani Family Winery and have been producing highly sought-after Napa Valley wines ever since.
Pair with a hearty red meat, duck or veal cut. To bring out the flavors in the wine, complement the entree with sides or sauces featuring mushrooms, roasted tomatoes or garden spices (oregano or thyme).