92 Insider Points
91 Points - Vinous/ Antonio Galloni
The Chilean Countryside Has Been on My Bucket List for a While Now. I'll settle on tasting their wines in the office for the time being. The Casas del Bosque does a good job of putting me in the Atacama with my own Llama. For sub-$20, this Chardonnay delivers the value that it promises. But that's what we expect from South America right? A tropical nose of kumquat and flower blossoms and my mouth starts watering. On the palate, pear, passionfruit and a bit of citrus, leading into a finish full of minerality and fresh flowers. I'm looking for my flight to Chile as we speak. 92 Points - JZ October '17
Casablanca Valley, Chile
$0 SHIPPING Selection (6+/btls)
This exciting premium 100% Chardonnay is what high-quality seaside dreams are made of. Ready to drink now, this Chard hails from some of the winery’s first plantings on the west side of the Casablanca Valley. You heard right, the same region known for producing the best Chardonnay in Chile.
Reasons why we love it
- Chile’s finest region for white varietals. Our Tasting Panel is thrilled with what’s coming out of this high-quality, cool-coastal region. 20 miles from the Pacific Ocean with an undeniable influence by the Humboldt Current - which flows to Chile’s west coast from the Antarctic - makes Casablanca Valley whites serious standouts. We even dare to compare its climate to CA’s Los Carneros that is also known for exquisite Chardonnay.
- Good Estate. Great Chardonnay. Casas del Bosque has earned the title as one of Casablanca’s most prestigious wineries. In both 2013 and 2014 it was named “Chilean Wine Producer of the Year” at the International Wine & Spirits Competition while this 2013 Gran Reserva Chard picked up 91 points from Vinous: “Shows very good clarity and depth on the palate...Deftly combines power and energy and finishes very long.”
- The first on the seaside. The Cuneo family (owners of Casas del Bosque) were the very first to plant on the west side of the Valley. The year was 1993 and Casablanca was just beginning to take shape. It took seven years before they bottled their first vintage under their own label. Thirteen years later and we are beyond excited to bring this boutique winery’s prestigious offerings to our Members.
Medium straw in color. On the nose heady aromas of lemon tart and ripe pear combine effortlessly with rich notes of toasted almond. In the mouth quince and citrus dominate giving way to mealy yeasty notes and a rich, creamy finish. A lively, fresh acidity imparts excellent structure and length.
Casas del Bosque is located 70 km from Santiago, the capital of Chile, and 30 km from the port of Valparaíso, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Cúneo family, Italian descendents, founded the vineyard in 1993, in the far western reaches of the Casablanca Valley, one of the coolest spots in the area. The vineyard remains 100% family-run.
Currently the vineyard has 235 hectares planted, exclusively dedicated to the production of cool-climate varieties such as Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, Pinot Noir and Syrah. Cabernet Sauvignon and Carménère grapes are produced in the warmer climate Maipo, Colchagua and Chachapoal valleys.
Today Casas del Bosque produces 100.000 cases/1,2 million bottles of wine a year, all made from grapes grown on the Casas del Bosque estate. 80% of the wines produced are exported to more than 50 countries around the world. The remaining 20% is distributed throughout Chile.
One of Casa del Bosque’s biggest strengths is the soil. In the hills, red clay composites of volcanic origin sit on top of decomposed granite layers formed 110 million years ago beneath the Pacific ocean. This soil gives our wines the unique characteristic sea salt flavour.
Another detail that makes Casas del Bosque wines unique is that 100% of our white wine grapes are harvested at night making the most of the low temperaturas of between 3-8 C. This is followed by a period of 5-9 days on skins before being pressed.
Today Casas del Bosque is one of the most important wineries in Casablanca. It has gained great prestige over the years and in 2010 it became the Best Vineyard to Visit in Chile according to The Winery Guide, Brasil. The restaurant Tanino was recognised as having one of the best gastronomic experiences. In 2013, then again in 2014, it was chosen as the “Chilean Wine Producer of the Year” by the prestigious International Wine & Spirits Competition (IWSC).
Try this with lobster, scallops, roasted chicken, or a tangy goat cheese and hazelnut salad in a citrus vinaigrette.