93 Insider Points
When Sending Off a Loved One, You'll Want to Use a Good Cab
"Godspeed" is the appropriate phrase, and it just so happens to be the appropriate Cabernet. I met winemaker Larry Stricker a few months back, a kind old man, and I knew I wanted to feature his wine not only from the taste, but from his virtuous demeanor. And that's the kind of message his Cab sends.
Ripe plum nose. Super juicy with raspberry, pomegranate and blackberry. Bright berry and oak through the finish. The perfect way to say bon voyage. 93 Points - JZ Aug '18
Mt. Veeder, Napa Valley
Premier winegrower Larry Stricker’s “Godspeed” label has garnered praise from some of the best in the business; while original harvests were initially sold to other premium wineries, today they select the finest blocks to keep all to themselves, including this bottle right here.
- Larry Stricker, architect-turned-vintner, has over time sold his world-class fruit to esteemed wineries such as Robert Craig, Bremmer, William Hill, Newton, and Monticello, and since 1990 he has taken advantage of his exceptional vineyard by bottling half his production under his own label.
- His wines are very elegant; styled after Europe, they highlight the exceptional quality of both the vineyard and the unique microclimate of Mount Veeder.
- West of Napa and Yountville, Mount Veeder is a highly unique appellation within the Napa Valley region that’s been producing intense and age-worthy wines since the 1860s. This is the seat of the valley’s longest growing season and its lowest yields, and the rugged conditions necessitate the vines being tended by hand.
- Godspeed's vineyards range in elevation between 900 and 1500 feet on the slopes of Mount Veeder, and are free of pesticides, herbicides, and chemicals, and use only recycled natural compost and fertilizer. Drip irrigation is done via the winery’s own on-site well.
- Prior vintages received critical acclaim: points in the mid-90s, a gold medal, and a “Love at first sip!” exclamation from the 2011 Cabernet Shootout.
- Approaching library-status, the Cabernet Sauvignon is showing beautifully now, as it’s in it’s perfect drinking window. Mountain fruit, cigar box, and a big round juicy mouthfeel, lay it down for another year or so or enjoy it now.
This is a wine of many flavors, yet none of them are overwhelming. The fine tanins mixed with flavors of blueberry, leather, raspberry, and chocolate, will make you come back for more.
*invino maintains excellent cellaring conditions, and strives to sell every bottle in pristine condition. As is standard industry practice, any wine purchased over seven vintage years old, is sold "as is" and may not be returned for any reason.
From the winery:
Godspeed is an artisan grower in the Mount Veeder Appellation of Napa Valley situated at an altitude of 1500 ft. The vineyard is the project of the the Larry Stricker family. Larry is an acclaimed architect who has created world class resort hotels, including the Phoenician in Scottsdale, Arizona; the Marriott Desert Springs Resort and a series of Hawaiian properties including the Halekulani, Kahala Resort, Kapalua Bay Hotel and the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel.
At his Mount Veeder estate, he has over time sold his world-class fruit to recognized wineries including Robert Craig, Bremmer, William Hill, Newton & Monticello. Since 1990 he has taken advantage of his exceptional vineyard by bottling half his production under his own label. Three wines are produced at Godspeed: Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon and Trinity. All three are made in a very elegant, almost "European: style, with an emphasis on the vineyard's unique microclimate, as expressed in the wine's balance and fruit element. The current release Chardonnay, with no malolatic fermentaion, is made to age, and should continue to drink beautifully for the next five years. The Cabernet, from the exceptional 1999 vintage to the even bigger 2001, has a structured style with a deep dark color and richness on the palate.
The newest offering TRINITY is a blend of Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah. A mouthfilling, fruit forward blend made to drink younger yet still exhibiting the uniqueness of Mount Veeder.
Pair this with a delicious steak dinner. Or if you're in the mood for something lighter, it tastes lovely alongside various mature cheeses.